Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Well, here's some better pictures of the new tandem. With the 65 degree weather here yesterday I was really itchin to take it for a spin, but the trails still have a ways to go before they're dry.

Big wheels! 29" set-up with the maverick DUC 29'er fork, king hubs, dt rims. nice.

The paint is a very metallic candy orange. Called Mandarin orange, and that's a pretty good description. Pictures don't do it justices though. Just about all the tubing is ovalized, so it looks think in the pictures, but you're looking at the skinny end of the oval.

Used my old Ritchey tandem cranks, just too hard to find anything better. I really like these, especially compared to dropping the money for either a new Middleburn set of the Davinci cranks (which would be my next choices).
I did a little ride down the street solo yesterday and I'm not sure if I'll like the avid cable discs. Even with the 203mm rotor they don't feel as powerful as my hydraulics with 185 rotors. I've still got the Hope hydraulic's as back-up, but I was hoping to avoid the hassle of those. They're a real pain to adjust and don't like to stay silent for long after adjustments.
The bike feels really good when I'm on it, but I haven't taken it for a real off-road ride yet, but I think it's going to be great.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

long time coming

The tubing has been in my shop for about 4 years, it's finally a bike.
I'll try to get some good pictures soon, but for now these will have to do.

And, since it didn't sell on ebay, the green 29'er will be my new ride this year. But with a belt drive! I created a way to retrofit the surly dropouts to take the belt drive without needing any repaint work. Looks like it will work very well. I'll let you know. If you have a frame with Surly track dropouts and want a belt drive, I may be able to make that happen without a dropout replacement!

I think this will be great for traveling. Since this frame has S & S coupelrs already, I won't have to mess with a dirty chain when I pack it up now!

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

more teasing

Check out the sweet Truvative Team stoker stem I made for the tandem. I wanted something with a bit more style than the usual stuff available, plus with a shorter reach but still adjustable. Lighter never hurt either (213 g). Made it by being creative with a long extension Team stem I had, my lathe and tig welder. I wonder how many people will ask where I bought it...

Installed the 29'er spacers in the fork today as well. Once the final clear is hardened up I'll be assembling it.